Decorating weddings and special events over the years, I've often helped clients with other aspects of their events besides the decorating. I want to share that information and advice with you. I also want to highlight other event vendors whose work I like and different local venues. I invite you to ask questions as well.


Wednesday, January 27, 2010

LITTLE THINGS

Recently a bride offered to provide meals for my team at her event. Not only did this show her generosity - as any extra expenses when planning a wedding can really add up. But it also showed what great manners she has – remembering even the smallest courtesy in the midst of such a hectic time. I thanked her, but declined her offer. The ones to remember to have meals for are usually the Photographer and Band.

But this exchange made me realize that, in all the years I've been decorating events, I don't recall ever being asked this before. Yes, a couple times I've been offered tips (also declined) and received a few thoughtful gifts. One client gave us a quite a generous gift certificate for the very nice hotel where her event was held. Don't panic. That is not usual, nor is it expected. Truly, I am quite pleased when someone takes the time to write me a lovely note. Which brings me to...

Don't forget the little things.
Don't obsess about every little thing.

To help you remember all those little details, keep some sort of binder, list, database, so you can keep organized. Be vigilant in maintaining whatever system you choose. So when you wake up at 4:30am worrying if you sent that final payment, just check your notes and then confidently return to your beauty rest. For me, sometimes decorating an event can seem like orchestrating a military maneuver. Thusly, I have become an obsessive list maker – bride's favorite flowers, event day time-line, venue and other vendor call list, etc. Lists help me keep track of the myriad of details I need to know and keeps our team moving forward accordingly. And really, ticking items off a list always gives me great pleasure!

So now you've gotten your binder, set up your website and feel fairly organized. But planning a wedding is still sometimes overwhelming. Maybe you feel you can't manage everything. One tack some take is to hire a coordinator. They can help just on your big day or all throughout your planning. Planners may help some, but I feel in most situations they are an unnecessary expense. Hire capable vendors that communicate with you and coordinate with each other and that's really all you need.

If you still feel you're handling too much be willing to delegate some responsibilities to someone reliable. And again I stress RELIABLE. Follow your instincts, or your gut, as they say. You love your Maid of Honor. But if she is chronically late, can't successfully seal envelopes without cutting her lip and notoriously has trouble finding her own car, maybe someone else would be more helpful.

The same goes for vendors. If the florist, caterer or photographer shows up to your first meeting 45 minutes late and has forgotten their book of samples, don't hire them. Find someone who is professional, compatible...RELIABLE. So that on your special day you will be able to relax, enjoy yourself and feel confident that the services they provide will be provided - and in the way you want. Then you are free to worry about all the other little details - like getting those pretty note cards to write your favorite florist!

No comments:

Post a Comment